Wax resist is to apply warm melted wax to a ceramic surface, which when cold it is covered with liquid pigments, slip or glaze. The wax will prevent them from adhering to these parts when fired as it burns away. It can be laid on to leather-hard clay, bisque, a glaze-base or color. The wax is melted down and applied with free brush strokes, sponges, dripping or shacking and many other methods of creating textures. More than one layer of glazes and wax can be added.
Method of working
1) Wax pencils can be bought or you can use a candle.
2) Prepare the wax so it is a liquid and can be used freely with a brush.
3) If working on leather hard clay, with a free hand and brush let the wax run to make a design.
4) Apply the color using a spray, dipping, brushing or pouring.
5) When fired, the wax repels the color.
Read more about: Slip decorating